Sunday, October 26, 2008

Work and Politics

Sorry that is has been so long since I updated the blog...life has been a little crazy. I have been juggling my new job at HRTC, the job I am trying to leave at Playhouse, and a chorus role in Dayton Opera's opening production of Turandot...I have been BUSY. So, let me try to catch you up:

HRTC: I am about to begin my fourth week, and the time is absolutely flying by. So far I have been learning the database, fulfilling donor benefits and getting to know the board members. While none of this has been particularly riveting, I am enjoying my time there so far. I have been given the opportunity to write two letters, and they both were approved with no changes...NO CHANGES! What a difference that can make to my work and dedication!

I also got to attend my first opening of the season, which was the two-person show, Ears on a Beatle. The performance was very interesting and I really enjoyed the two actors that were involved. This show also gave me the opportunity to take Kevin to work and introduce him to some of my co-workers. He is so excited about my new job and the opportunities I have there, and he enjoyed being with me at the theatre.

Playhouse: This past week I finally set an end date of Nov. 13th. Sydney and Patty are beginning their second interviews with a few prospective candidates and hope to have a decision by the end of the week. While it has been six weeks since I gave my notice, the actual act of setting my end date this week sent me into another panic. When I originally decided to take the job at HRTC, I was nervous that I was making the wrong decision. However, by keeping my job at Playhouse while I start my new one, I kind of had it in the back of my mind that I could always decide to stay at Playhouse and not continue at HRTC...this has ceased to be an option. The good news is, I think that I have definitely made the right choice. I will miss Sydney, Ryan, Patty, Kathy and others at the Playhouse, but the experience I will get at HRTC will help me as I continue to grow as a fundraiser. Still, I think I will be sad when my time at the Playhouse is over.

Other than work, I have been OBSESSED with politics. With the election only nine days away, I am constantly wondering who our next president will be, and what that will mean for the country. I have decided to stop looking at polls, because they all have such different results. While they all show Obama leading, some have him ahead by 14 points while others have him just 1-2 points ahead. What does this mean? I simply think that no one really knows what will happen. I'm just trying to imagine an Obama presidency...it doesn't look good my friends. At least not to me.

No comments: