Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Monday Monday

The day is almost here...on Monday I begin my new job at the Human Race Theatre Company in Dayton. I am nervous and excited about this transition. It will be interesting to see what exactly my responsibilities are going to be and what the office atmosphere is like.

October is actually shaping up to be quite a busy month. I am in rehearsals right now for Dayton Opera's opening production of Turandot. I am singing with the chorus, which marks my first production in over four years. The music is finally starting to come along, however, the memorization is a whole other story. This Puccini opera has a large chorus role, and since I haven't memorized Italian in a long time, it is really some work. We have also begun staging rehearsals which typically consist of a lot of standing around. There are around 30 chorus members plus supers and the children's chorus, so it takes a long time to get anything staged. My shining moment will be at the beginning of act I when a guard throws me to the ground and hits me with his spear...."Look mom, I'm in an opera!" :) Turandot opens three weeks from Saturday, so I will keep you posted on how it's going.

October will also be busy because while I'm beginning my new job, I haven't exactly left my current one. I gave my notice at Playhouse but also offered to work there part-time until they are able to replace me. Because of the small size of the development department I didn't feel right leaving them down one man (or woman, as the case may be) in the middle of the season, but now I am regretting all of my commitments. Basically, I will go from working part-time with very little evening activities to working two part-time jobs and having 4-5 evening rehearsals a week.

So, to get ready for the busy month ahead, I have taken some vacation time for the remainder of the week. I am heading to Indy tomorrow for a short visit with Lauren. Friday evening and Saturday afternoon I have opera rehearsal and then will be heading to a baby shower for one of our Air Force friends. Sunday will be church and celebrating Mark's birthday...my "vacation" time will be a little hectic, but a much needed break from the office.

The only other exciting thing happening is that I got my blackberry in the mail today. I decided to get it because I wanted the full keyboard for texting, but there are many other fun gadgets associated with this phone that I had fun figuring out today. Once I get the pink cover I ordered for it, I should be set.

Final thought. The time to register to vote is running out. If you're not sure if you're registered, there are many websites where you can check this out. If you've moved since the last time you voted or you've never registered, please do. This is an important election and every vote counts, so take care of business.

No comments: