Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Reason for the Season

With Christmas a little more than a week away, I have been busy preparing the house with decorations, wrapping Christmas gifts and trying to wrap things up at work before my holiday break. With two families to shop for it is easy to get overwhelmed with Christmas shopping. I've managed to plan pretty well this year and get as much shopping done early as possible. Last week I spent an evening wrapping gifts, which always puts me in a good mood. I even managed to make some packages look like Linda Bratcher wrapped them, which to me feels impressive (I know, it's the littlest things, isn't it).

Santa's workshop

One of the wrapped presents I'm so proud of. impressed, aren't you?

This past Friday, Lauren and I met for lunch halfway between Indianapolis and Middletown. I had not seen Lauren since August when she first found out she was pregnant. Now that she is 4.5 months pregnant, she is beginning to get the cutest little baby bump. She found out right before Thanksgiving that she is having a boy, and I am so excited for her. I am not ready to be a mom, but I can't wait to be an Aunt :)

As Lauren and I were leaving lunch, we saw this older gentleman walking up to Chili's carrying a life size cross. He had it over his shoulder, using his other hand to hold his cane that he needed to walk. He set the cross down outside of Chili's and walked in as we were walking out. As we passed him in the entry way, he said to us "Jesus is the reason for the season. We shouldn't wait all year to adore Him, he should be adored all year."

It struck me that I get so wrapped up in the busyness of Christmas that I forget to remember the real reason we celebrate. It was nice to have this simple (and large) reminder.


"She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins"

Matthew 1:21

No comments: